The LVIA, Lay Volunteers International Association, is an international association of solidarity and cooperation set up in 1966 by a group of volunteers as an expression of the values of dialogue and brotherhood existing in the evangelic message and in the intuitions manifested effectively by the documents of Vatican Board II.
LVIA is a concrete manifest evidence of the urgency needed to operate as singles and associates in line with these intuitions and in coherence with the declarations of human rights and citizens’ rights specified in the documents of the United nations. LVIA intends to offer opportunities of meditation, formation and active involvement in the implementation of interventions of international cooperation and promotion of dialogue between people and territories in order to find an answer to the unbalance existing in the world and to their consequences.
The action of LVIA is intended for the whole human family, whose members have equal rights and dignity as well as duties and responsibility of operating for the construction of common good with an environmental friendly approach.
The association makes its best efforts for the construction of a more equal and fair world, where the dignity of everyone is defended and promoted, through the promotion of the enjoyment of fundamental freedom, a better and fair access to resources, a wider access to basic educational and health services, a possibility of living in a healthy environment and whatever can favor an improvement of the quality of life and the possibility of sharing the determination of one’s own path and of one’s own community’s path, in view of the cultural elements and rights of the other peoples and men and women on the planet.
The association acknowledges the possibility of a plurality of change paths, by promoting the responsibility of every society in proposing modalities which shall acknowledge everyone’s dignity, encourage a fair access to the resources, respect the rights of every other man and have a careful eye for the needs of future generations.
In order to contribute to reach the above expressed goals, the association undertakes to wok in cooperation with anyone, either body or man, who shares the same goals.
The association works in compliance with the social and institutional differences in the various realities we intend to act in, by promoting first of all the direct expression of these social differences as to the required change paths.
The association is no-profit, and acts according to an austere style based on modalities which combine technical operational abilities and the central role of people’s dignity and interrelations.
The association looks for effective, innovating action modalities, by acknowledging the central role of volunteers in their various expressions, of the spirit of service and gratuity, as well as a concept of professional abilities intended as an exercise of responsibility, competence and respect for the complexity of the matters we intend to act upon.
The association’s action translates into a specific attention to human resources through an appropriate path of formation and support both under the technical and value point of view, according to modalities which give an essential role to experience sharing and meditation, so that personal adhesion to the values set by the association can translate into behaviors congruent with them.
Within the frame of the above defined elements and in continuity with the values expressed in article 1, the association undertakes to represent a responsible and equal citizenship, to work concretely for the identification and promotion of change paths, to support dialogue and mutual understanding of peoples, through:
- the processing and setting up of direct interventions of international solidarity, cooperation, humanitarian help
- the promotion of cooperation between territories and communities of the “north” and “south” of the world
- the activity of education, awakening and information of the societies of the north and of the south of the world about the above highlighted subjects
- the search for the causes of injustice and its consequences and the improvement of the relevant knowledge and awareness
- the promotion with the competent authorities and various bodies of initiatives intended to remove situations of injustice and their consequences
- the promotion of an open intercultural society
- the promotion of aware and sustainable choices of consumption
- the participation to networks or aggregations with goals and purposes coherent with these articles of association
- the promotion of every other initiative coherent with the values of these articles of association
Associates are all those physical and juridical persons who comply with the ideals specified in the above expressed articles and cooperate to reach the association’s goals.
The request to become associates shall be submitted in writing to the Association Board. The associates have right of active and passive vote in the association’s organs of administration and shall pay the association fee established by the associates’ meeting every year.
Every associate participates in the association’s life according to their own availability.
The relations between the associates and the association are established by the Associate’s charter, adopted by rule.
LVIA acknowledges the importance of being rooted in the territory and promotes the active engagement of its associates and supporters, by establishing rules through which the territorial realities find their expression within the association.
The association acknowledges the following forms:
- The territorial antennas, when the President shall decide to give specific powers of attorney with institutional or operational characteristics, in compliance with the different territorial expressions of association
- The groups, associations and supporting committees, who cooperate with the association in order to reach specific goals or on a continual basis
- The territorial association seats, which are defined based on
– a univocally defined territory
– their association as a juridical person joining the association based on the contents of article 5
– a mutual forma acknowledgement with LVIA based on the acknowledgement of the requirements specified as rules
The rules establish the modalities of the relations with the different external and territorial realities and the headquarters.
- The organs of the association are the following:
- The general meeting
- The board of the association
- The Presidency
- The President
- The board of arbitrators
- The board of auditors
The ordinary general meeting shall be summoned by the President at least once a year in writing, and upon expiry of the organs of administration for their renewal.
Written notice shall be sent at least 20 days before the date set for the meeting and shall contain the agenda.
The President shall also summon the ordinary meeting whenever he thinks it should be necessary or when a request has been made for a given reason by at least a tenth of the associates or by a third of the associates elected by the board of the association.
All the associates who have regularly and duly paid the association fee are entitled to vote at the meeting. The associates who are juridical persons are represented by their legal representative or by a proxy with written powers of attorney.
The associates who cannot take part in the meeting can be represented by another associate with proxy. Every associate cannot have more than 1 proxy.
The meeting is chaired by the President of the Association or a proxy and is valid when the number of associates present and of those represented by proxy exceeds 50% of the associates.
If upon first summon the number of the present associates mentioned before should not be reached the meeting will be summoned again and it will be considered to be valid independently from the number of associates present. The meeting deliberates by simple majority of the associates present.
The ordinary general meeting has the following duties:
- to adopt the rules for the election of the organs of the association
- to elect the President of the association and the members of the board of the association chosen among the associates, to elect the members of the board of arbitrators according to the present articles of association
- to approve of a mandate program at the beginning of the mandate of the elected association organs
- to approve of the yearly report and balance sheet within June 30 every year
- to decide of the exclusion of any associates for a serious reason
- to decide whether transferring the legal seat of the Association
Any modifications to the articles of association shall be made by the extraordinary meeting valid with the physical presence or proxy of half of the associates plus one. It deliberates by simple majority of the associates present.
The board of the association consists of:
The board of the association continues in office for 3 years and anyway until the ordinary meeting renews the members.
The member of the board acts with no liens of mandate and is entitled to access any information necessary to accomplish his/her mandate, in compliance with the general balance of the distribution of duties and functions.
The board is valid when the members present are 50% plus one of the elected members excluding the president. After summing, whereby the legal number cannot be reached, the President is due to summon the board again within 45 days. After three consecutive summoning calls to no avail, because the legal number of members present is not reached, the President shall summon the meeting with a 60 days’ notice.
A member of the board who is absent for three consecutive times without any written justification, will be removed from their charge for once and replaced by the first one of the members who has not been elected. However should he/she be missing for a foruth time he/she will be definitively removed from his/her charge.
The President summons the board of the association at least four times a year or upon request of at least one third of the elected members of the board. The board of the association is summoned in writing with at least 14 days’ notice before the expected date and shall contain the agenda. The Board of the Association shall provide control and give a purpose to the association. In particular the board of the association shall:
- decide about the admission of the associates and ratify their withdrawal apart from the cases of expulsion due to serious reasons; the board also ratifies the state of delay in payment of the associates.
- establish the lines of conduct in the matters of financial management
- adopt the rules of the association except for the rules concerning the election of the association organs and the internal rules of the other association organs;
- approve of the budget and final balance
- approve of the preventive annual program, the progress of the program and the final report, including any references to the operating strategy of the association
- adhere to ethical codes and conduct codes and make sure they are correctly applied and express opinions and offer recommendations about any situations which imply the values and ethics of the association
- ratify the proxies of powers and functions by the President and relevant modifications
- ratify the composition of the presidency proposed by the President
- offer advice about the strategic lines of the relation between LVIA and other bodies and institutions and check its trend
- offer advice about the territorial and associative policy of LVIA and check its trend
- formulate recommendations about the activities carried out by the association
- formulate recommendations about the organization chart of the operating structure
- propose agendas about specific subjects which shall be taken into consideration by the presidency
The deliberations of the board of the association shall be taken by relative majority of the present elected members of the board. In the event of an equal number of votes, the President’s vote shall prevail.
The functions of the board can be carried out through the formalization of specific operating modalities, such as the creation of commissions and work teams, permanent or temporary, through a formal act of the board which defines the relevant reference terms. Commissions and work teams can include people outside the board, however any formal function delegated by the board shall be reserved to the members of the board in the relevant commission or work team.
The absolute majority of the elected members of the board of the association can formulate recommendations about the restructuring of political and operational charges, which shall be taken into consideration by the President upon the first meeting of the board of the association.
The absolute majority of the elected members of the board can deliberate the summoning of the election meeting for the renewal of all association organs even before the natural expiry of the mandate.
The Presidency is composed by the President and by two or four other members. The members’ charge lasts three years and shall end by all means with the renewal of the association charges. The composition of the presidency is defined by the president and ratified by the board. At least half of the members of the Presidency, to the exclusion of the president himself, shall be elected members of the board and by all means associates.
The President or his proxy can summon a meeting of the presidency at least every two weeks. The meeting can be summoned whenever at least two of its members should ask for it. The most important operating figures can take part to the presidency’s meeting ordinarily with no voice in the form required by the delegations by which the President defines the operating structure.
Apart from the major delegations attributed by the President, the Presidency reserves the right of
- expressing the necessary opinion about the definition of the strategic guidelines relevant to the administration of the patrimony of the association
- expressing the necessary opinion about the definition and implementation of the policies of valorization of the human and territorial resources, including matters of formation
- expressing the necessary opinion about the criteria and choices of identification of the vertex managers of the association in Italy and abroad
- expressing the necessary opinion about the definition and implementation of the strategic guidelines of the relation of LVIA with other bodies and institutions
- exerting a role of supervision and validation of the annual plans, budget and balance
- evaluating the hypotheses of intervention in new areas or branches and deliberating about them, by specifying the elements of their decisions in particular for what the strategic opportunity of intervention and financial covering if not in the budget are concerned, after hearing the opinion of the competent department.
- assisting the President in matters of extraordinary administration.
The Presidency shall vote by simple majority of the present members. In case of equal vote, the President’s vote shall prevail.
The President can delegate functions to the members of the Presidency by selecting them among the functions specified in next article 19, by formal deed ratified by the Board of the Association.
Whereas the law allows it, the meetings of the presidency and those of the board of the association can be held by means of telecommunication, provided that all participants can be identified and are able to follow the debate, with interventions in real time in the discussion of the subjects in question and receive, transmit or view documents.
If these requirements are met, the meeting is considered to be held in the place where the President is, and where if appointed the secretary of the meeting shall be found, too.
The President is elected by the general ordinary meeting for maximum two consecutive mandates. The President is the guarantor of the strategic line of the association with the associates. It is his task to valorize each and every component of such line in view of the association’s goals, and to implement every single initiative suitable to ensure conformity with the values sanctioned by the articles of association.
The President is the legal representative of the Association with all Italian and foreign bodies and institutions. His duty is presiding the Presidency, the board of the association and the meeting. He or his proxy shall
- take care of the deeds of ordinary administration
- take on after hearing the presidency the responsibility of the decisions of extraordinary administration by undertaking to take them to ratification where necessary upon the first meeting of the competent organs of the association
- take care of the definition and implementation of the operating strategies in the various fields
- take on the obligations on behalf of the association
- inform about the activities of the association both the association’s organs and the associates
The President can delegate the representation of the association with Italian territorial bodies according to article 6. The President can also delegate the representation with other bodies according to the operational needs.
The President is responsible for the operating structure in Italy and abroad and for its operation, and can give mandate to carry out the relevant functions partially or totally by means of a formal deed which becomes effective when the Board of the Association ratifies it.
The deeds of proxy and mandate of the functions are valid within the terms ratified by the Board until they may be modified in the same ways.
The President shall appoint a vice president with the same functions chosen among the Presidency members who are also elected members of the Board. The vice President shall replace him in his functions whenever necessary. Should the President not be able to carry out his/her functions for a period longer than 90 days, the Vice President shall summon the election meeting in the terms provided therefore in these articles of association.
The Association shall have an operating structure in order to reach its own goals. The President shall be responsible for the operating structure and shall coordinate its operation through formal mandates and proxies to be ratified by the Board.
The patrimony of the association consists of movables and immovables, by the reserve fund consisting of the balance surplus, allocations, donations and legacies.
The amounts of money are deposited in current accounts in the name of the Association.
The financial year closes on December 31, every year. The balance sheet shall be drawn up by the Presidency and submitted to the approval of the Board of the Association and of the General Meeting within June, 30.
The Presidency shall draw up a budget, which shall be submitted to the approval of the Board of the Association before the last day of February every year.
The quality of associate will be lost by death, resignation, delay or default in payment and other serious reasons sanctioned by the Meeting unquestionably.
The revenue of the Association consists of:
- the association fees
- donations and contributions
- any other revenue incrementing the association’s income
The dissolution of the association is deliberated by the extraordinary meeting and the association’s patrimony will be used for welfare services and charity purposes similar to the association’s after settling all debts with everybody.
The ordinary meeting appoints three auditors, outside the Association. They control the administration of the association, examine and approve, by signing it, the annual balance and the patrimonial state to be submitted to the meeting of the associates. The auditors can participate with no voice to the meetings of the Board of the Association. They stay in charge for three years.
The ordinary meeting elects the Board of Arbitrators composed by two associates and by an external member. The arbitrators stay in charge for three years, during which the members undertake to maintain the necessary condition of being a third party as to the activities of the association. The board of arbitrators has the duty to decide upon request signed by at least 5 actual associates on the following subjects:
- cases of incompatibility or conflict of interests of any associates who have been elected to take part in organs of the association;
- any other events of conflict according to the articles of association.
The Board of Arbitrators decides based on the articles of association, on the internal rules, and on what legitimately established by the organs of the association. The decision of the Board of Arbitrators is written and accessible to all associates and is binding on all association organs who shall act consequently.
The legal seat and headquarters of the association are located in Cuneo. The seat can be transferred elsewhere without demanding a modification of the articles of association.
The current laws shall apply to whatever has not expressly specified by these articles and by the internal rules of the association.
Registered in Cuneo on November, 3 2008 under nr. 8335
True copy of the original document on 22 sheets for fiscal use.
Cuneo on October, 19 2008.